WordPress.com recently announced a major upgrade to their content editor. After taking a look at it and being thoroughly impressed, I immediately wanted to upgrade all of my self-hosted WordPress sites to utilize this new editor. Unfortunately, the new admin UI is not available on self-hosted WordPress sites.
Great news though. You can very easily enjoy the benefits of both a self-hosted WordPress site as well as the benefits of the admin UI available exclusively at WordPress.com. Just follow these steps:
- Sign up for an account a WordPress.com if you don’t already have one.
- Log into your self-hosted WordPress site
- Upgrade your WordPress installation to the latest and greatest (be sure to back everything up first)
- Install the Jetpack plugin
- Follow the steps to link your site up with your WordPress.com account
- Go back to WordPress.com and reload
- You should now see your self-hosted site listed under “My Sites” in the WordPress.com UI
- Use either WordPress.com or your self-hosted admin to manage your content. Though once you start using the new WordPress.com editor, you will likely not want to go back.
For web developers that manage multiple sites for their own use or client use, an additional benefit of using the new WordPress.com UI is that you will have a centralized interface to manage all of your sites.
Reasons to self-host WordPress: